“Twilight Wedge at Cow Creek”

cowcreek
K.B. Canham 4×5 Metal Folding Field f6.8 90mm Rodenstock f32@ 1sec Fuji Velvia 50
Theme Week 7: Death Valley

This entry was written by Craig , posted on Monday June 18 2007at 12:06 am , filed under Landscape . Bookmark the permalink . Post a comment below or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

9 Responses to ““Twilight Wedge at Cow Creek””

• gymeagary says:

Following up a point from your last podcast, Craig, I think to do this image justice it would need to be seen in a very large print so that the range of tones would give a depth which is missing in a small screen shot. I really love the foreground as you have it here.
    I am gwussing the larger field camera shots come from earlier in your career – but I could be wrong and you may still be using large camera film to supplement your digital shooting. Would you consider posting the year the image was taken with your technical information?

• Gonzaga says:

Great shot … I like the angle and the sharp foreground a lot … I wonder why the closer tiles look like inverted compared to the tiles that are a bit ahead … it’s a bit distracting … I also think, that the lower right corner is a bit dark compared to the left one … but this are just my little thoughts, you know …

Well done.

Take care … Andreas.

• Adam B says:

I love the way that the tones in the image reflect the shapes in the foreground. I like the way that the brightness on the right hand side of the sky balances out the hill on the left side of the image. Was this added later in photoshop or did the sky really do this?

I find it interesting how the dark foreground draws my eye all the way through to the background of the image.

• Rick Allen says:

Craig:
    The image of Cow Creek is enough to want to go back. It is always amazing how different people see different things even at the same location. Then again, I am always amazed what people see at all when arriving at a site at 5am in the morning.

The scientist in me wants to know how the foreground mud cracks are wet around the edges (dry in the middle) whereas the mid-ground mud cracks are wet in the middle and dry around the edges.

• tonebytone says:

I do love everything about this image. When I squint my eyes, I can see those alternating horizontal bands of dark-light-dark-light, etc, from bottom to top. Very subtle, but I think, very effective in drawing the eye into the picture. I too wonder at the reversal of color pattern in the foreground tiles compared to the mid- and further-distant ones. Is it just a matter of how the light hits them in respect to the camera’s position? Has this place changed since you took this image? And yes, what year did you do this? I love large format images, but I sure can’t imagine anyone being willing to lug around such cumbersome equipment.

Flo

• mgrigsby says:

Craig, Beautiful landscape image! Great design, light, exposure and colors!! I think this one is as good as it gets :0)
    Murry

• admin says:

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for all of your comments and support. This is an older image. I will start putting the apx time frame and or date on the images. I believe I shot this in 1999. I stiil have my view camera and have very recently started shooting some color transparencies.

The images for this week will be a mix of old 4×5 photography and more recent 35mm digital work.

Thank you again for all of your support…..Sincerely, Craig

• JohnGalt says:

Craig normally uses bold colors and I think pushes the saturation to a very nice place. This one is to pastel for my taste. It makes me think of hippies. Not sure why, but it does. Maybe that sky reminds me of a tie-dyed t-shirt. This certainly not a critique some would approve of but it is what is on my mind.
    JG

• advman says:

Craig, that’s pretty awesome. This certainly looks like you’ve been using filters. Did you? Well, maybe filters would be a fantastic topic for a future podcast. Just today I’ve ordered a set of Lee ND and split ND filters, and I’ve shortly considered adding a Coral 4 to the lot. I finally didn’t, because I had the feeling of not knowing enough about their uses and the number 4 would have been somewhat random. Hmm, maybe I simply should dive in, buy a bunch and see what I can get out of them. On the other hand, that quickly gets expensive :)

But really, it would be marvelous if you could talk a little about filters, when you use them and why. Do you, for instance, use color filters with digital, when you explicitly go for B&W? It seems like an odd thing to do, with all the possibilities in Photoshop, it even seems to take away choices, but it certainly would help with noise, right? And there’s certainly more to it.

Andreas